Recently a lay leader at Squyres told me about a quiz he was giving his students the next day. The quiz was about the Five Characteristics of Living Things:
- Are organized or have an orderly structure.
- Respond to their environment- this includes homeostasis: mantaining proper internal conditions.
- Take in and use energy.
- Grow and develop: individual cells grow and the organism grows by adding new cells – over a lifetime, living things develop and change.
Upon hearing these characteristics a “light bulb” went on and theological senses heightened. Here is my version of the theological characteristics of living churches:
- Are Community: are organized and structured communally.
- Are Missional: Respond to their environment.
- Are led by the Spirit: Take in and use the Spirit’s power.
- Are Maturing: grow in & develop their discipleship (sanctification).
- Are Reproducing: make disciples by sharing the good news with others.
So is our church “alive?” What can we do to make sure that it is? What are your thoughts?